Thursday, November 15, 2007

Personal Application or (Mis)application??

In dealing with some of the good and bad days of this period of transition, I have really needed God to speak. Fortunately, He has been doing so: through several close friends, readers of this blog, a psychologist, my mentor, my spiritual father, my little church (St-Arbucks), and my family.
As I asked God to speak through Psalm 78, I was particularly impacted by verses 70 to 72. Here is my personalized reading or misreading of these verses. Please wade in with your comments.

  • He chose his servant David - God's choice and call must stand out through all that transpires.
  • and took him for the sheep pens; from tending the sheep - he took me from The Salvation Army where I was caring for the leaders around me - coaching, listening, weeping with, and rejoicing with.
  • He brought him to be the shepherd of his people Jacob, of Israel his inheritance - where once a particular flock was my place of learning, God has now called me to a higher calling - the care of his inheritance, his whole people. Not one local church, not one denomination, but the whole Church. There is a move from caring for to leading. I have lead from position for 30 years, now I must lead from influence. This could be a challenging shift.
  • And David shepherded them with integrity of heart - This blog exists because of the importance of heart renovation. My participation in "Emotional Intelligence" training, my personal walk with the Lord, my times with a psychologist... all are directing me to appropriate care for and guarding of my own heart. If I am to lead it must be with heart integrity.
  • With skillful hands he led them - The order is important here. First the heart, then the skills. What are the skills I have mastered or am working towards mastery of? What are the particular gifts and graces that God has deposited in my life? Coaching, teaching, preaching, prophecy, compassion, leadership, language skills (French and English), computer skills, a learner. I'm pretty damned talented.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting ... Psalm 78:70-72 is the verses God gave me 3 years ago, when He challenged me to start to prepare myself for apostolic ministry. The transition from David the shepherd to David the skillful leader sounds like such an easy, painless process, but in reality, it is a long, drawn out series of very thoughtful choices, letting go, and embracing new things. Some may refer to it as "heart renovation", but it seems to involve the soul, spirit, mind, and yes, even the body.